Birthday S'mores Cupcakes

10:56 AM










Last night my family and I celebrated both my brother and mom's belated birthdays. They have back to back birthdays (June 10th and June 11th) that happened to align with a very busy week. So, we celebrated last night! Typically when it's birthday time in the Logan house, my mom does the baking but because it was her bday, I did the baking! My dad and I brainstormed some dessert ideas that could be for both of them and naturally chose cupcakes- cake is very individual so cupcakes were the obvious choice.

During the summer, we go to our house on Cape Cod and one of our favorite things to do when we're there is make s'mores by the fire (obvi). So s'mores cupcakes seemed like the perfect summer birthday dessert. I did some research and found a perfect recipe. Forget the boxed cupcake/cake stuff- I followed the recipe, which was surprisingly simple, up until the frosting portion. I didn't like how the recipe asked you to make it, so I followed the simple recipe of:
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch of salt
So, you combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Next, take the liquid and put it in a mixer and beat on high until it becomes white, fluffy, and makes stiff peaks. 

When making the cupcakes, you can be as fun and creative as you would like! Frost them and decorate. I used graham cracker crumbs and little handmade chocolate balls on the top- this was a fail that turned into a discovery! At first, I melted chocolate to drizzle over the top and it didn't have the texture I wanted, so I added some half and half and it seized up and made it easy to roll into balls. So, there it was. 

These cupcakes were sooo decadent and I was EXTRA glad I went to the gym yesterday hehe :) 

You Might Also Like

0 comments