Lemon-Blueberry Filled Crêpes

1:59 PM




If you know me, you know that Sundays are my absolute favorite day and Sunday morning is my absolute favorite part of my absolute favorite day. I love to wake up and watch CBS Sunday morning at 9 while I sip my coffee or tea. Growing up, Sunday mornings were always made special by my mom and dad because we sit down as a family to brunch. My mom would always have a recipe of a scrumptious breakfast treat that she would prepare either the night before or the morning of. My dad's job was to accompany that breakfast spectacular with toasty, essentially burnt bacon- because that's how the Logan fam loves it. I fully intend on containing the very special tradition of sitting down to an amazing brunch meal.

So this is a recipe that I made and tested on this rainy Sunday morning. The lemon-blueberry filled crepes recipe is my own version of a one that I found online. I tested it out by swapping and changing a lot of the ingredients and I am so proud of these!

Here's how I spent my Sunday morning:

Crepe ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup of almond milk

  • 1 1/4 cup of white flour

  • 3 tablespoons of butter, melted

  • 3 large eggs

  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Filling ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of crème fraîche

  • 1/2 cup of yogurt- vanilla or lemon, greek or regular

  • 2 tablespoons of lemon zest- the zest of a whole lemon

  • 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Blueberry sauce ingredients:

  • 8 oz of fresh or frozen blueberries

  • 2 tablespoons of water

  • 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup

  • 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice

Directions:

For the crepes: Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until evenly combined. Make sure the batter is smooth and there are minimal clumps. When evenly combined, cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 1-12 hours, or over night.

For the lemon filling: In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients until smooth and well mixed. Refrigerate 1-12 hours, or over night. You want to let the ingredients sit so the different flavors meld together.

For the blueberry sauce: In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and let simmer over medium heat. Remove the blueberry sauce once it reaches a thick constancy- about 6-8 minutes. Put the blueberry sauce into a maple syrup pitcher until you're ready to serve.

Cooking the crepes: Now, making crepes isn't for the faint of heart because they can be difficult to flip. You just have to have confidence in your flips! First, start by heating a big frying pan on medium heat. To test if the pan is hot enough, put a little water on it and if it "dances" and disappears, it should be ready. I didn't use butter to grease my pan like most crepe recipes call for, I used coconut oil- lemon ginger coconut oil to be exact. It provides a healthy and vegan alternative to butter and also goes great with the lemony recipe. Put the coconut oil in the pan and tilt the pan until it covers all over- about a teaspoon. Next, pour a half of a cup of the crepe batter into the pan. Tilt the pan until the batter covers the whole thing in a circle shape. You know when the crepe is ready when you shake the pan and the crepe moves smoothly. Next, comes the flip. Take your time and be confident! It should be a smooth and swift movement. It took me three times to get it right. When the crepe is ready, set it aside on a plate. Continue until the batter is all gone.

Filling the crepes: Fold the crepes in half, and then in half again. It should make the shape of a big slice of pizza or pie. Open the crepe back up so it is the shape of a half pizza. Take the lemon filling and spoon in two-three tablespoons of the filling to half of the folded crepe. Pull the other half over the filling to cover it. Continue until the lemon filling is gone and the crepes are stuffed!

Once you've filled all of the crepes, arrange and serve. You can pour the sauce all over the crepes or have each person do it individually. Take your fork and knife and enjoy!

Recipe yields about 6 crepes, serves 2-3 people.

You Might Also Like

0 comments